School of Architecture and Civil Engineering

History of the school of Architecture & Civil Engineering


The school of Architecture and Civil Engineering of the University of Wuppertal date back to more than 100 years of tradition in the education of "building and construction disciplines" at the Haspel campus.

In 1890, the two large cities of Barmen and Elberfeld were at the peak of their "Gründerzeit" development. In the valley, industrial and - as a consequence - urban development boomed due to the inventive and entrepreneurial spirit of the people in the valley of the Wupper. They begrudged a drawing school, which in 1894 was supplemented by two building trades classes for building tradesmen and in 1897 was affiliated with the newly founded "Königlich-Preußische Baugewerkschule" (Royal Prussian Building Trades School), because at that time it belonged to the Prussian Rhine Province. In 1900, at the same time as the construction of the suspension railroad (Schwebebahn), the school moved into the then new building at the Pauluskirche today (Altbau HD).

In 1972, the departments 1 "Architecture" and 2 "Civil Engineering" of the Bergische Universität Gesamthochschule Wuppertal were incorporated.

In 2003, the University - the Bergische Universität Gesamthochschule Wuppertal was transformed into a pure university form - the Bergische Universität Wuppertal. In 2015, the School of Architecture and Civil Engineering was founded. A strong traffic deepening has distinguished the "Wuppertal School" over all years.

Linking the education of architects and civil engineers is thus part of the "inherent logic" or "DNA" of our faculty, dating back to its very beginnings. Nevertheless, the education of transport professionals is also a characteristic of the Wuppertal School. Wuppertal has thus remained committed to its philosophies for more than 100 years and has been successful at all times in qualifying building and design professionals.

Weitere Infos über #UniWuppertal: